Monday, August 07, 2006

Alaska July 31 to Aug 6

From our daily log.............

July 31, Mon

We really didn’t do a whole lot today. We went with Dick to Sears so he could buy a new refrigerator. His in the house is probably 30 years old, and still works, however, his garage fridge went out, so now he is moving the house fridge to the garage and new one into the house. We also went out to the BX just to look at what they have. The BX’s sure aren’t like what they were when I was allowed access to them. This one at Elmendorf is really a super big store carrying just about anything you could want.



It was cloudy and cool today……and rainy, of course!



Aug. 1 Tue



Jerry arrived this evening. Al and Dick went to pick him up and I stayed home and cooked dinner. Most of the day I spent doing laundry at Dick’s house this time. I swear I do laundry about every other day! I know I don’t, but it feels that way!

It’s nice to have Jerry here, however, I sure wish Ardis could have gotten the time off to come along. Maybe next time. Jerry is having a hard time with the lack of darkness….and we hardly notice it anymore! I guess we have acclimated to our surroundings.



Aug.2 Wed

Back to the river today. It rained most of the way here and is still raining off and on.



The sockeye (red’s) salmon are finally running strong in the Kenai, so the state has opened up fishing again on the river, limit 3. In 5 casts I had hooked 3 fish! The fish are really running strong….and the department of Fish and Game say this is an unusually strong run, however, about 3 weeks late. Most fishermen that come up to fish for reds come up July 15 for a week…usually when the fish are running the strongest. This year, for what ever reason, the fish hung around in Cook’s Inlet longer than usual…but they are here now! All of us limited out in less than an hour. What fun! Jerry is really having a good time fishing.



Aug. 3, Thursday

Jerry and Al spent most of the day fishing. I went into town and downloaded email and did a little cleaning around the trailer. We had wonderful bbq’d salmon for dinner tonight…just the way I like it..out of the river and on to the bbq. YUM!



Weather is still ugly.,..raining, cold, cloudy ick.





Aug. 4 Friday

Al and Jerry took off to go halibut fishing out of Ninilchik today.. Al called when they got there…too windy and the launch was closed. Darn…and Kevin (Buttchaser captain) didn’t call us. A needless trip to Ninilchik! I can see why it was closed…it’s windy, cold, cloudy and raining hard here.



After they got back from their “ride” they both went down to the river and caught their limit. After a while, I went down and caught my limit as well. I caught one red that really put up a fight and boy was it fun to bring him in! There for a while I didn’t know who was going to win…him or me!



Jerry spent part of the day watching our bald eagle…I call him ours as he is always sitting up on top of a dead tree next to our trailer making his noise…which I can’t even describe what it sounds like. And I know he would really like to feast on our cats given the chance!



Aug. 5 Sat

Today we went to Seward to take the Wildlife Cruise on Resurrection Bay. This is the same cruise we did with my brother, sister, sister-in-law, Cammie and Cortney a month ago. We really enjoyed it today as well…and it was clear and sunny most of the day! Not warm, however! Jerry really had a good time -- on the way down to Seward we saw a black bear cross the road. On the cruise we saw a black bear on shore, plenty of bald eagles and Puffins. But no whale this time, which was disappointing.



After the cruise we walked around Seward for a bit, then headed home, stopping at Gwin’s in Cooper’s Landing for dinner. Great place to eat!



Aug. 6 Sun

Well, our freezer is full of salmon and halibut…..Jerry will be taking part of it home. He has succeeded in catching his limit every day. Again they were suppose to go out on the “Buttchaser” for halibut today, They were scheduled to depart the launch at 6:00 a.m. in Ninilchik, which is about an hour and half drive. They left at 4:00 a.m.; around 5:30 a.,m. Keven, boat captain called and said the wind was up and he wasn’t going out. I called Al told him. They decided to go on down to the launch since they were just turning on the road to the launch when I called. Apparently, Kevin just didn’t want to go out, as everyone else was going out. They tried to get on another charter, but they were all full. We think next year we will go back to going out of Homer on halibut charters…they seem to never cancel due to weather. At any rate, Al and Jerry decided to drive on down to Homer to see if they could possibly get on a late leaving charter out of there…but there weren’t any available. Jerry won’t get to experience halibut fishing this year…he will have to come back next year.

. They did see several Bullwinkles (moose) on the trip to and from Homer, just no Rocky…..Rocky lives in our fish camp and is busy annoying our cats!



It is sunny today, but cool -- just like a perfect autumn day…but wait, isn’t it still August? I don’t feel like I have had a summer this year. I still need my quota of warm weather and sun.



Jerry and Al are napping right now (2:00 p.m.) and are planning on going down to the river later to fish. I, on the other hand, am on my way to the laundramat….my favorite hang out as of late.



On another note, Beau is doing much better…almost back to his old self. He is still on a huge dose of prednisone, and has had some side effects from it, but he is doing better. I have dropped his dose of prednisone down as the doctor prescribed, so hopefully he will have less of the side effects. Schuster is still being a mother hen with him and won’t let him out of his sight for very long! It is driving Beau crazy! J



Daylight hours are getting shorter! It gets DARK around 1:00 a.m. and doesn’t get light until around 3:30 a.m. I actually saw some stars this morning when I let Beau out at 2:30 a.m. something I haven’t seen in 2 months! The locals are already groaning about the upcoming dark age (winter) and I can’t say I blame them. I sure wouldn’t like the long hours of darkness during the winter…heck, I don’t do well with the hours of darkness we get in the winter in Tucson!

No comments:

Followers