Thursday, April 19, 2007

Warm weather again!

Tucson, AZ

Home again. We arrived home on Tuesday night and it was WARM! YEEHAW! But I am sorta starting at the end, so let me back up a bit.

After freezing at Lake of the Ozarks, on April 12 we headed to Kansas City. About 50 miles out of Lake of the Ozarks this thing appeared in the sky....it was the sun! It wasn't warm out, but at least we could see blue sky! We stopped in Clinton, MO and had lunch with Al's cousins...thanks again Les and Fern! Clinton is such a cute town and so much history! Clinton is the town where the Elk's Lodge building collapsed about a year ago killing one member. Les had been in the Lodge that morning before it collapsed. They are now rebuilding and the new building will be completed in a about a year. There is a little coffee shop we like there, so we had lunch there and it is always good.


Al's cousin Fern and husband Les

From there we went on to Kansas City to see grandson David. We had a great visit with him and he is doing well. We noticed he has matured a lot in the last year and he looked more settled, or happy. We were just very glad to see him and spend some time with him.

David and Gramma

April 13...didn't even realize it was Friday the 13th! We headed back to St. Louis. Bev took me to her Bunko group that night and got me hooked on Bunko. So now I will have to either find a group to play with in Tucson or start my own. What fun!

April 14...the day dawned dreary, COLD and rainy and yes, we even had some snow mixed in with the rain. Bev and Mike took us to a spice store in south St. Louis (I think) called Penzey's. I have never seen so many spices in one place! Then we went to Kimswick, MO for lunch at the Blue Owl cafe. Bev and I went there last year for lunch, so this time we took the guys with us. Unfortunately, it was raining so hard we couldn't get out and walk around the town. Cute town, right on the Mississippi...but since the great flood of 1993, the city has built dikes to protect the town.
The famous Blue Owl Cafe

April 15...Sunday. We really didn't do too much today. Bev fixed a wonderful dinner and we just rested most of the day. We did get out to the new Cabela's that just opened in St. Louis and Bev and I wandered around the St. Louis Mills Outlet mall.

Mike and Bev have the neatest dog (next to ours of course)...Herbie. He is a riot! Always busy, always happy.

And, as usual, we get fed very well while we are here. They are both great cooks. Here is what Bev fixed for dinner tonight...not only taste wonderful, it is pretty!



April 16...Today we went back to Cabela's as AL wanted to buy a new fishing reel...however, the service was so poor, he finally gave up and walked away. And yes, I will write a letter to Cabela's about it.

April 17....the weather is finally nice in St. Louis...of course, we leave today. FIGURES! However, the weather has been nice since Sunday, just not as pretty as it is today. Long flight home, only had a 40 minute layover in Dallas but we made the change okay and so did our luggage. We got home about 8:30 p.m. to two dogs and two cats who were very glad to see us.

April 18...I hit the floor running this morning. Jeannette is flying in today and I had to get the house clean and drop the dogs at the groomers (we couldn't see their eyes!!!). I picked Jeannette up and we headed over to the Voyager RV Resort as she was looking at Park Models (11x35 trailers) to buy so they can spend the winters here. She found a cute one and they bought it! It has an Arizona room attached to it and also another room that Gary can use as an office.

April 19. My kids do like to keep my life interesting! Billie called this morning apparently while I was having my nails done, and left a message that Dan had crashed his airplane. He was okay, but the plane was totaled. Of course, I was worried out of my mind until I talked to her and CONFIRMED that he was okay. Apparently he was landing at the airport in Pacoima (California where he keeps his plane) and he landed hard, which caused the plane to "bounce" back into the air. And as the news write up said "The pilot reportedly applied full power with the wing flaps extended. The aircraft subsequently stalled, and the left wing impacted the ground. The plane then cartwheeled off the runway and into the infield area, coming to rest near the administration building." Scary stuff! That just took years off my life! But, most importantly, Dan is okay, a few bumps and bruises, but okay. Thank you God.

Jeannette left today after doing some measuring at the park model and making arrangements for inspection, etc. We are so glad they will be here during the winter months --- it will be great having them close.

April 20...
Cortney is staying with us for a few days while her parents are gone on a camping trip for their anniversary. We love having Cortney with us....it is so nice to have young people around. I can remember hearing my mom say that and I always wondered why she said that....now I know!

April 21
Every time I fill up the car with gas I look around for the person with the gun! I feel like I am being robbed! Good heavens, when will the extortion of the American people by the oil companies end??? Gas is nearing $3 a gallon here and I understand in Washington it is running about $3.22 a gallon. We may rethink driving the truck and trailer anywhere!

Cortney is at work tonight (she works at the very exclusive spa, Miraval, which is down our street about 3 miles), last night she came in dead tired. Apparently the spa is at full capacity and she had 24 rooms to do last night. She "refreshes" the rooms every evening, meaning, clean towels, bed turn down, etc. AH, to be young and energetic again!

Tomorrow I will start working on the 5th wheel...getting it ready for the big trek north which will probably take place around May 3. Yes, I am starting to pack AGAIN! I have to say, I am really good at it...since I get plenty of practice!

So, until next time, be happy and pray for the families and friends of the slain students from Virginia Tech.

No comments:

Followers