Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It's been a little over a week

It's been a little over a week since the shootings in Tucson.  Unless you are living under a rock, you know what I mean.  We have had every news agency in the world here.  For a while I couldn't drive down Oracle without seeing more than I wanted to see of the news vans.  But alas, it has started to die down and now we are left with moving on.  I say we as in TUCSON.  As I said in my previous blog, when it happens elsewhere you mourn for that city and the people in it; however, when it happens in YOUR town it can really affect you.  I didn't expect it to be as bad as it is for me.  I mean, I didn't personally know any of the victims.  However, THAT IS MY SAFEWAY STORE that I shop in.  Kinda' hit me in the gut! 

Oh, there is a Safeway closer to home.  However, I LIKE the Safeway at Ina and Oracle.  I LIKE that shopping center.  Of all my "go to" if I can't find it, I go to that store.  It has almond paste, which I can't find at any of the stores up here, I like their meat department better, and produce.  Okay, it might be all in my head, but it is in MY head and I listen a lot to my head!  (Sometimes the voices get a little confusing, but that is another blog all together!!)  So why can't I go back to my Safeway????  It opened on Sunday.  And for some unknown reason, I can't go back there.  I have been to Beyond Bread, which is in the same shopping center, so why can't I go to my favorite store?  I am planning on making a try for it this weekend...Jenn will be here to help (drag) me.

AND, that Safeway paid all of it's workers for the time they would have worked while the store was closed.  I thought that was very commendable.  Safeway as a company donated $100,000 to the victims fund.  WAY TO GO SAFEWAY!  We as people of Tucson have been donating as well and to other charities.  Our food bank is over flowing; Red Cross has more volunteers than they ever have had.  We  as a city/town are trying to start down the long road to recovery.  Our prayers are with the victims, and we watch an pray for Gabby's recovery.  She is a very strong woman and we all pray she will recover completely.  But we also pray for peace for the shooters parents.  They didn't ask for this; they didn't know their adult son was this disturbed.  They are victims as well and we need to have compassion for them.

On other non TUCSON TRAGEDY notes, Al had another surgery on his shoulder on 1/11.  A piece of bone had dislodged and the doc went in to repair that.  Poor Al has had his share of hospitals in the last few months.  He was in the hospital for 2 days, then transferred to Oro Valley Hospital Rehab, which is only 5.4 miles from home.   Yes, I measured the mileage.  After driving the 17.7 miles to Health South for 3+ weeks this is a breeze for me.  He is doing very well and the plan is to release him to come home tomorrow.  In a few minutes I have to go to "training" on how to care for him....as if I haven't been doing this for the last few years?  Oh well, anything to please the rehab staff. 

Jenn is coming down for the weekend.  I can hardly wait.............

No comments:

Followers