Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Aunt Alice Hicks haunts us once more!

Tucson
Mar 5, 2008

Well...we have a bunch of Spaids wroamin' around our house! As I said before, my (Jo) family reunion is here and my sister, two brothers, one sister-in-law and a nephew are still here. We are having a great time. Over the weekend, Jennifer was here and my nephew, Bobby Dean from San Diego was here. I never realized that Jennifer had never met my nephew Bruce; and she didn't remember Bobby Dean...well of course not, she was just a year old the last time she saw him! And we have been a bunch of busy Spaids while we have been together!

Jo and her sister, Jean

I picked up sister Jean and brother Bob and wife Mary from their cousins in Surprise, Arizona last Thursday. Now, mind you, their cousin's aren't mine...don't ask! Anyway, I finally got to meet the Verver side of the family ... what a great bunch of people I met! Joanne, Kent, Karen and Keith...I have heard about these people all of my life, but never have met them until then. I can't wait to see them again! And we all practically live in each other's back yards in the winter.

Friday we picked up Jennifer from the airport and went to have lunch at El Charro, a great Mexican place in Tucson. Gary and Jeannette joined us as well. Then Saturday we hosted a steak dinner at our house for 16. All Spaids that were coming were here and we had a good time talking over old times.
SPAIDS: Dick, Jean, Jo, Bob


Sunday we went to brunch and then Jennifer, Jean, Mary and I went shopping. Those 3 can out shop me any time!! Whew!
Monday was spent taking Jennifer to the airport and running a few errands. Yesterday all of us with the exception of Al went up to Mt. Lemmon. We had a great time exploring the rebuilt Summerhaven and having a piece of the great pies that Mt. Lemmon is so famous for in these parts! Today we went shopping .. again. I am truly tired of shopping. Tomorrow Jean, Mary and I are going to Mexico and Tubac...yup, more shopping. I am shopped out.

Two evenings have been spent going over my grandmothers and aunts birthday books (see previous post for explanation on these) trying to figure out who is who in our family. We finally figured most of the people out with the help of my sister Jean who has a wonderful recall of all of these people and she was the smart one that asked questions of our grand parents, parents and aunt and REMEMBERED what they told her. I have never wanted to much to ask my parents questions as I did these two days as to our family history. So all you out there with parents still around, look at them as treasure troves of information on your family history and ASK QUESTIONS while you still can! Any way, we found our selves back to "who was Aunt Alice Hicks?" My sister thought she knew a few weeks ago when I asked her; however, that person she was talking about was Aunt Katie, not Aunt Alice! We all came to the conclusion that we had no clue who Aunt Alice was! Well, now it was really starting to bug me....who the heck was she? So I spent one night searching on the Internet -- do you have any idea how many "Alice Hicks" I came up with? Good grief! Finally I paid the fee and went to Ancestory.com. I found our Alice Hicks and her husband, but still didn't know who she was or how she was related to us. After a while, I called a distant cousin, Jim Chapin in Smith Center, Kansas who has done some research on the Chapin side of our family. I could only hope he knew the answer...and he did. Apparently our great, great grandmother Lydia was married twice. Once to a Forbes and once to a Merrifield. Our Grandmother was a Forbes, Alice was a Merrifield, and they were half sisters....which makes Aunt Alice Hicks our great, great aunt....I think! After all of this, I think I am my own grandmother. And yes, Jennifer and Melanie, I have this all down on paper...and it makes some kind of sense...maybe.

So now I am going to go unscramble my brain and see if I know who I am! My brothers and Al stayed out of this mess and just let us "women" try and figure it out! Figures!

Until next time...I think I know who I am, but I finally do know who Aunt Alice is!

No comments:

Followers