Sunday, June 01, 2008

Snakes, Funerals, Proms and Engagements

Odessa

It has been an interesting few days -- to say the least.

Last Thursday I went out to Jerry and Ardis' house to see if I could get Jerry's computer back working. After a frustrating hour, I gave up and told him to take it to the repair shop. On my way back home, first on the dirt road and later on the paved road I ran into a HERD of snakes! My first encounter was just a short distance from Jerry's...snake on the road...run over it! That was one gone...whew! Not much further on the road snake number two met its death. By this time I was having a bad case of the creepy crawlies.... around the curve and snake number three was trying to cross the road...bump..one dead snake. About a half a mile later ANOTHER SNAKE... but this one I actually had to aim for as he was almost across the road -- I am getting mean by this time. FOUR DOWN. I get on the highway at this point and I hadn't gone 20 feet and there was another damn snake...I ran over him twice...thought I may have missed him the first time! Less that a quarter of a mile guess what...yup, another snake in the road...okay -- you are number six! SIX DEAD SNAKES IN LESS THAN 15 MINUTES! WOO HOO...I'M A KILLER! Needless to say, by the time I got home I had goose bumps and shivers....too many snakes for me for one day...or year. ICK

Friday we loaded up the car with dogs and us and headed for Seattle. That was after I had to go get the windshield wipers (Swipers for those of you who knew Gene) fixed...there was no way I was going to Seattle without windsheild wipers. We arrived at Jennifers apartment around 6:30 p.m....dogs howling because they knew they were going to get to see Jennifer. HA...fooled them, she is in Florida! They ran into the apartment and looked everywhere for her. Pookie (or Spookie as I call him) her cat just about had a heart attack....whoa...where did these big beasts come from? He finally came out from under bed about 3 hours later.

Saturday we attended the funeral for Josie Totusek, Al's cousin Pauls wife. She was truly a fine lady and I adored her. She was the epitomy of a fine Southern Lady. At the funeral I actually met more of Al's relatives that I didn't know. You would think after 30 years of being together I would have met them all, but no, there were still more out there! I can't believe how big of a family he has -- especially when you get into the cousins! YIKES! However, I did enjoy meeting this side of the family.

Then last night we got to have a bit of fun. Granddaughter Cammie's Prom was last night. Her group of friends were going out for dinner before the Prom, so we met them at Azteca and I took some pictures of them. How beautiful Cammie looked...as so grown up. Brought tears to my eyes.
Cammie and Prom Date


Cammie and Grandpa AL
Then Al and I had dinner with Ric and Janet...which was a short visit, but fun.

We headed home today. Left Seattle it was 57 degrees....I was shivering. Got home to 80 degrees...this is why we live on this side of the mountains. Our trip was short, sad, fun, all rolled into one.

We had some very good, exciting news today as well. Al's cousin Christy, who lives in Phoenix called to say that she is engaged. We are so happy for her. She deserves some happiness in her life. So to Christy and Bill....congratulations -- we are so very happy for you both. Christy, Bill and Christy's four children will make a wonderful family unit.

Now I have to take my car, the Exploder (1994 Explorer) into to the shop...it has decided it wants to run rough (ruff) and the "check engine" light keeps coming on. I can't understand why....this car has 155,000 miles on it and everyone and their dog has used it at one time or another. It has been a wonderful car up to now...just hope it is nothing serious because I am not prepared to buy another car right now. Besides, I think with gas prices the way they are a horse might be a better investment! Ya, like I could ride a horse. I save that for granddaughter Lori.

And on another note...new picture of great granddaughter Sophie


On that I will end this blog for the night...stay tuned for the snake count...I am positive there are more lurking around here. EW

No comments:

Followers