Saturday, January 17, 2009

Why can't I get a Break?

TUCSON
Yes, Tucson! We never made it to Lancaster! I can't believe my luck!

Thursday night Al started to cough...all night long. About 3:00 a.m. I got up; got dressed, loaded the dogs in the car (not for protection, but for company) and set out to try and find ANYTHING that was open in Blythe that could possibly have some 1.)Nyquil or 2.) Cough Syrup. KNOWING, there wouldn't be a drug store open, but hoping the Albertson's was a all night/24 hour store..not at chance. After wandering the streets for a while I came up on a "stop and rob", aka, mini-mart. Yup, they had Nyquil and cough syrup, for a high price, but I wasn't quibbling at that point. Back to the hotel (both killer dogs asleep in the car) and doused Al with some Nyquil. He finally went to sleep and we both got about 3 hours of sleep. However, he was still coughing and I had a nagging feeling that this was not a cold.

I finally got up and went in search of coffee...found a Starbucks right across the street and it was like a magnet...Venti please! Came back to the room and Al was not any better, but not any worse. I finally told him we were NOT going to Lancaster. After thinking it over I didn't want to give everyone there a cold, if in fact that was what he had. But more so, I had a gut feeling (I hate those--thanks mom!)that this was not a cold, but congestive heart failure. I really hate it when I am right sometimes! But back to the story. I called our doctor in Tucson and amazingly enough, got an appointment for 3:45 p.m. I got us loaded into the car and we were hell bent for Tucson. I rolled into the medical center parking lot at 3:36 p.m. WHEW! And, as I suspected, yes, Al is in fact in congestive heart failure. Al's kidneys are also beginning to fail due to long term diabetes, therefore he is in double trouble. The doc decided that he wouldn't put Al in the hospital, but try to keep him home and try some different medicine. If that doesn't work, then he will hospitalize him, but I am trying to keep him home. Al has been on a no salt diet (ICK) for the last 10 days and is doing fairly well on it, however, I know it is hard for him. He won't exercise, says it hurts his knees to walk very far, etc. None of this looks good, does it? CRAP! The new meds, plus an increase in the lasix Al takes is making him run to the bathroom a lot more...so he is getting some exercise from his chair to the bathroom! Hopefully he is getting rid of excess fluid as well. The doctor said he had at least 20 pounds (yes, 20) of excess fluid to get rid of. If these pills work I may beg the doc for some for me (just kidding). At any rate, Al is one sick person. And yes, I am worried sick as well. He is still coughing up a storm and I can't sleep for fear he will choke, so I am sleeping with one eye open and both ears open. I think I may have gotten about 2 hours sleep last night. I tried to take a nap this afternoon but either Al would cough or the dogs would bark....there is just no sleep in this house for me.

AND I REALLY DISLIKE BLYTHE. I realized while we were there that Blythe was where we were a few years ago when we got the phone call that Jennifer was so very ill with DVT and in the hospital. That town holds no great memories for me! From now on I will drive miles out of my way to avoid that town!

So, so much for our quick get away. My brothers condition is about the same...he is hanging on for dear life. I didn't see him today...I didn't dare leave the house. I did go out and trim a tree/bush that was taking on my car every time I drove out of the driveway and watered our plants, but that is as far as I got from the house. At least our weather here has been absolutely beautiful this week...in the high 70's or low 80's all week..can't complain about weather!

So, to the Pengilley's, we are sorry we didn't make the memorial for Joe. And to Glennie, Fred, Carl, Ruby, we are sorry about missing dinner tonight. And to Billie and Dan...we will see you some year! And to everyone who has called, emailed, etc, thank you for your support...it means a lot to me!

1 comment:

Jenn from WA said...

ooo another new look for the Wroaming Wraspir's...your blog look "wroams" too.

Followers