Friday, January 27, 2012

Goodbye to a wonderful lady

Last night the world lost a very special lady.  At least my world did.  Or I should say our world...but let me start at the beginning.

Jude Hubbell and her husband Roger met Al over 50 years ago and they have all been good friends since.  I entered the picture over 30 years ago and I must say I was a nervous wreck to meet her.  I had been warned by Al that Jude could be "difficult" and if she didn't like you, she didn't like you..period!  I must have been okay, or a keeper as they say these days, because Jude and I hit it off right away.  I will admit there were times I wanted to throttle her; argue with her (which wasn't possible I learned), or just stand up to her.  She was one stubborn gal.  And I loved her.  She had the biggest heart of gold I have ever seen.  Very opinionated---very.  Some times it was her way .. only.  Yet our friendship grew and deepened. 

Roger and Jude moved from Seattle to Tucson in 2000.  We hadn't really given Tucson, or any place a thought to retire since we were still in our RV travel mode.  However, we wound up buying  a house about 3 miles from them.  It is always so comforting to know they were just "up the road" from us. 

In the last few months Jude's health has taken a sharp decline.  She has been in and out of the hospital several times.  Two weeks ago she came home under Hospice.  Her children, siblings and several friends have made their way to Tucson to see her and say their goodbyes.  Those who couldn't make it have called.  She was well loved.

Last night Jude gave up her fight and died peacefully.  I thought I was prepared for this.  Wrong....I wasn't.  No matter how prepared you think you are, you aren't.  With heavy heart, I pray for eternal life for her.  We who are left behind are sad, because she is no longer here; however, we are also happy celebrating her wonderful life and the impact she had on others.
Our world is a little more empty today, a little more sad, and once again, our lives have changed.  We will go on, remembering the good times with Jude and our memories we have.

Rest in Peace our wonderful friend, Jude.  We love and miss you. 

1 comment:

Jenn from WA said...

She will be, and is, missed.

Followers