Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Rain, rain go away

Sterling, Ak July 25, 2007



Rain, rain, go away!

We are having another typical Alaska summer…rain!!! Actually, rain, cold (to me) and clouds seem to be the norm here. I am one frozen person! I know this is July… I know I should be in shorts, tee shirts. Instead I am in long pants, socks, and long sleeve shirts and shivering! What is wrong with this??? Me, the warm weather lover!! Cold! Again, I am missing summer!

The sockeye fish (reds) salmon are running. Apparently, everyone else can catch them but me! I just don’t understand!! Cortney, where are you??? Jerry, where are you??? I can go down and beat the river to a froth…everyone around me catch salmon, but I can’t seem to catch any! Spaid luck? Probably! Last night the “Germans” were catching them beside be on each side, but I couldn’t seem to catch one! I even traded poles and they caught one on my pole!!!!! How disgusting is that? ?? Doesn’t seem fair.

Al has been fighting a bad cold -- and so have I. He has been so bad he hasn't been down fishing for 5 days. I think he is finally getting better today. Maybe he will feel like fishing tomorrow.

On another note............We are still saddened by Sun Country RV closing…however, we are excited that we will have Gordon and Denise with us this winter in Tucson! I talked to Denise today and they are in the last throws of business….We will really miss them, however, we think this could be the best thing to happen to them. They will be able to travel now and spend more time with us…yes, we are selfish! I feel for them however, it must be hard! After being in business for so long, and being so popular in the Moses Lake area, it will be hard to not have them there! They are such good friends, and we will be glad to see them in Tucson!



Well, our days here are numbered. We will probably head up to Anchorage on Sunday and spend some time with my brother; then Wednesday we fly back to Seattle. We will leave the trailer available for my brother's use or any of the family that want's to use it. Then in September my nephew Bruce will close up the trailer for winter. I am anxious in one way to go home...I miss my dogs and cats; however, I feel like we should stay up here another couple of weeks!!! But I am tired of being cold, wet, etc...so time for me to stop whining and go home I guess!

One more bear story to tell before we leave here. Last Saturday night about 9:30 p.m. I was out playing with Buddy, the owners labradoodle. We were playing "bone"--not ball, but throw the bone! And of course I was really having a good time and Buddy is like Beau with a ball, once you start throwing it he is obsessed with it and only it...only this is a bone. After about 20 minutes of this I was getting tired, he was still ready to play, but I decided it was time to stop. I had just put the bone away when I heard "BEAR"! Huh? WHere? Ulp! Buddy, of course, was only interested in where I had put the bone....hey, dog, B-E-A-R! Buddy finally must have gotten the point, because all of a sudden he hightailed it for the house! Uh, where is the bear??? Apparently the bear was right behind the lodge! Now, to set the scene...the lodge is right next to the house, and I am right in front of the house. Too close for me! I very hurriedly walked back to our trailer...and watching out for everything. The bear was the same one Al had seen the day or so before down on the river. And everyone thinks it is the same bear we had last year. Anyway, the bear very calmly walked through camp, and wandered back down to the river and paced on the dock for a while before saundering off to the woods again. So now, we are all on bear alert! Again. Except Buddy, who is still just interested in playing "bone" or today, "stick"...gotta' get that dog a ball!

Our critter count is very low this year. One bear (seen twice) and too many squirrels to count. No moose! Oh, and mosquito's -- at least a gazillion of those.

Until next posting..................

No comments:

Followers