Friday, August 31, 2007

Update on Al

Portland

Things are looking a little better today. When I got to the hospital this morning Al was sitting up in a chair. His color is much better and his fever is gone. He was also more alert and aware of his condition. He ate a good breakfast and lunch, so his appetite is returning. His doctor stopped in around noon and gave us a progress report. Al's congestive heart failure is improving and the fluid in the lungs is better. The UTI is still alive and well, but the antibotics are attacking it and they have seen some improvement there as well. As the doctor said, "Al is 100 % better today from where we started at yesterday; however, we are only about 50% out of the woods". We still don't know if the infection has gone into his blood stream, but as the doctor said, if it has, the antibotics should take care of that as well. Al' legs and feet are not as swollen as they were yesterday and he is breathing without the oxygen. So, all in all, things are looking better. I know he is feeling better, he is starting to pick on me!!!

The hospital where Al is at really is a good one and I can't say enough about the care he is getting. The resident doctor, Dr. Ladogama, or "Dr. Tony" as he says, is great! The nurses here have been super caring and the ER staff tremendous! We are fortunate that we when we needed a hospital we found this one! It is only 5 miles from the RV park as well.

The RV park we are at is a very nice park, except it is a little like the movie, "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" -- and you could include boats in that as well!! The park is located next to I-84, so we get the road noise; under the direct approach to Portland International Airport, so we get the plane noise; and of course next to the rail road tracks...and not far from the Columbia river..need I say more???? And I didn't sleep very well last night, due to the aforementioned noises and just plain worry! I am betting I will sleep tonight. I took a short nap this afternoon, matter-of-fact, I went home and ate a sandwich and in the middle of lunch I fell asleep!! I NEVER HAVE DONE THAT!

The dogs are driving me crazy looking for Al. Beau just sits at the door waiting, Schuster is wearing a path between where I am and the door, pacing. They finally gave up looking late last night, but at 5:30 this morning they were at it again.

I want to thank all of you who have called and emailed...it is truly appreciated. I will keep you posted on the progress. Doctor said maybe he could be released from the hospital on Sunday, but more likely on Monday. I have no idea when we will be back on the wroad. One thing I do know, the truck and trailer aren't moving until I feel comfortable that Al is well enough to travel! He can be stubborn, but so can I!!!

1 comment:

LuAnn said...

Al -

Sorry to hear about your medical plight. As one AWAC-er to another, I know you'll continue to show up on the radar screen.

All my best wishes to you.

Al

Followers