Friday, August 03, 2007

What a trip!

Odessa, WA Aug 3, 2007



We are finally home....we got home at 11:30 last night. Tired and a little cranky, but home.



We got out of Anchorage about 35 minutes late, and arrived in Seattle about 40 minutes late....still have no idea where we lost the additional 5 minutes as the pilot claimed we were "making up the lost time". Oh well, I have, nor never will, understand the airlines and their time tables.



Alaska Airlines had 10 planes arrive within minutes of each other, so baggage claim was a nightmare! We stood at our "appointed" baggage carousel for well over 45 minutes waiting for our luggage. Hmmm...three other flights arrived after us and their luggage was there, where in the heck is ours? I kept looking at the information board and it said our luggage was on carousel 14....where we were! FINALLY, I happened to look up and realize there was only 4 others from our flight was hanging around! Huh??? So I track down a very harried looking airline employee, who tells me, "Oh, your flight's luggage was unloaded on carousel 12 --- 30 minutes ago...we made an announcement." Er, uh, well, I didn't hear it and neither did the 4 or so of the rest of the people. So we trudged over to carousel 12 and retrieved our luggage....fish and all. I had visions of losing our fish for days and then getting some very stinky fish...whew!



WE finally got to Jennifer's at midnight...exhausted. And then my body and mind had a debate about my not sleeping...I would doze off only to be awake again due to some cramp somewhere on my body!! ARG! Finally, up and at 'em on 2 hours of sleep.



Al had 3 doctor appointments yesterday in Seattle, which went well. Of course, this is Seafair weekend and the Blue Angels were practicing over Lake Washington, which made the bridge on I-90 be closed, so getting across the lake on the 520 floating bridge was s-l-o-w. And since the terrible tragedy in Minnesota, crossing any bridge for me is a frightening experience, let alone one that his old and "floats" on the lake...I have called it an accident waiting to happen for years! Traffic in Seattle isn't good on any given day, but let one of the main bridges be closed and it turns into your worse traffic nightmare! We finally got out of Seattle heading to Odessa around 5:00 p.m. Now, being that we were back up in the Everett area, we decided to take Hwy 2 home...which is a beautiful drive, not the fastest drive, but very pretty. We got into Wenatchee around 8:00, stopped for a bite to eat and headed home. It was still 82 degree's at 9:00 by the way! A far cry from our last month of 60 degree weather. HEAT...yeah!



We drove through a "bug storm" last night.....my goodness, the car is literally covered with bugs who committed suicide last night! Our granddaughter, Cammie, had just washed our car and it was so pretty and clean until we got into this "bug storm" and now I am not sure we will ever get all the bugs pried off the car! There are even dead bugs on the TOP of the car....and I haven't figured out how that happened!



We were driving east out of Ephrata last night when we looked up in the sky to see the strangest site...what is that??? A UFO? The moon??? No, the moon is not a bright red oval shape...what is that???? We kept looking at it, knowing it was the moon, hoping it was the moon; but the oddest, weirdest moon we had ever seen. It was bright red and oval! And HUGE! I have never seen anything like it. Amazing. Also, on our drive, from Ephrata to Odessa, we were on the lookout for deer....the highway is known as "deer alley"....and yep, we came upon a deer in the middle of the road. Had I been not aware of the deer problem, we would have probably had a dead deer joining the dead bugs on the car!!! All in all, we were very glad to get home!



Our cats had some words for us last night as well. Oh boy, did they ever! I think it is very good that I can't understand "cat meows" because I am sure they were really cussing us out for them being left alone for a month. They were real pests last night....and wouldn't leave us alone all night long. I thought about kicking them out side, but the coyotes were howling last night, so I didn't want the cats to become coyote food. I picked up the dogs this morning and they too had some words for us. Right now, all four animals won't let us out of their site...if one of us is in a different room we have at least two animals with us at all times! I think we were missed...and we missed them as well.




So we are settling down for a few days here in Odessa. Our plans are to leave here heading south to Tucson around August 27-28 time frame. Al had a doctor appointment on the 28th in Seattle, and then I think we will head down I-5, stopping in Portland, Medford, Chowchilla, Palmdale and Glendora on our way to Tucson. We won't be staying long in any one place however, as we want to be in Tucson no later than Sept 8. WHEW!!!



So until next time......we are home and happy. Hope all is well with everyone else...let us hear from you.

No comments:

Followers