Sunday, May 18, 2008

Travelin' along

Bryce Canyon, UT May 17, 2008 Saturday

We arrived here this afternoon after a very uneventful trip from Camp Verde. We spent last night at a KOA in Glendale, UT…not far from here. Nice campground last night, had lots of room for the dogs to run as well. There were a lot of horses pastured right next to us…and we discovered Schuster had never seen a horse up close. He wasn’t sure what they were…are these just big dogs (bigger than me?)

Al’s cousin Neal and wife Bobbie are parked here at Ruby’s Inn in Bryce Canyon for the summer. Neal is working at the Rock Shop here and Bobbie is leading ATV tours. Do I need to say more? This after noon after we got set up, we were off on an ATV tour with Bobbie. Since Al wanted to go, he and I had a Polaris Ranger…kind of a 4x4 golf cart. We had a great hour tour, saw lots of Antelope along the way. Fun ride. Then, we got back and Bobbie had one more tour for the day, and there was only one person on the tour…hmm…so I hopped on an ATV and went on another tour! One thing I love to do is ride the ATV’s. This tour we saw a herd of over 15 antelope, plus many singles and I got to see a baby antelope being born! Bobbie and the other rider were a bit ahead of me as I was hanging back to stay out of the dust; I looked up to my left just in time to see an Antelope kinda’ squat and drop a baby! Fascinating! I had never seen this before! This evening Neal, Bobbie, Al and I went out to dinner and on the way back Al kept spotting Antelope…we have renamed him HEAP BIG CHIEF ANTELOPE SPOTTER! Nothing wrong with his eye sight…he can spot an antelope a mile off!

Our weather has been perfect. Coming out of Camp Verde to Page yesterday it was in the low 80’s most of the way…perfect to travel. Last night it got down right chilly. I had to go scrambling for a blanket! The cats were cold as well…they were both in bed with us and the dogs were curled up in a little ball! Tonight promises to be just as chilly. However, this evening is pleasant. The dogs and I took a long walk and I found a place they could run…and boy did they ever run! Now they are both sacked out…too much exercise!

We will be here until Monday…then we will continue our trek north. It is nice to sit for a day or so and we are just taking our time heading to Odessa. We have been here before and saw all the canyon then, so it is rest time for us. Besides, how many hoo-doo’s can one see? There is a managed forest fire burning not far from here as well and the smoke in the park is bad at times, so we are just going to do nothing! I know, a lot of you wonder (and Jennifer, that is wonder, not wander!)how we can do that…it’s easy! Try it some day!

No comments:

Followers