Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dead animals and other thoughts

Sterling, AK
July 31, 2008

July 26
All I can say is this must be the wettest place on earth! Rained ALL DAY.

July 27, 2008
No change from yesterday. No fish either. We went into Soldotna this evening for dinner at Frosso’s. Boy, that place is good! I had a halibut dish that I am going to have to figure out the recipe to, it was wonderful.
On the way to Soldotna we passed a dead brown bear in the road that had been hit by a car. Sure would like to see what the car looked like as this was one squashed bear! Bear pavement anyone? He was bearly there! Okay, enough, the rain has gotten to my brain. Stop already!

July 28 Monday
Dan and Ken fished all day…came home with their limit finally. Red’s are slowing down in the river. And not many have passed the escapement this year, less than 400,000…which is way down. That tells me that either the run is really poor this year; the dip netters and commercial fishermen have gotten too many or that the fish are still out in the ocean and will come in strong later. Who knows?

July 29, Tuesday
Rain and a little sun today. The guys went to Homer tonight to go halibut fishing tomorrow. I am starting to gather things up and make my packing list.
One of our neighbors in camp hit a moose on his way back from Seward yesterday. Completely totaled his rental car, but he and his passenger weren’t hurt with the exception of a few minor cuts from the wind shield collapsing on them. He said the moose jumped out from the brush on the side of the road about 10 yards in front of him and there was absolutely nothing he could do. It happened about 5 miles from here, just off the wildlife reservation. He asked the state trooper what they will do with the dead moose and he said they will give it to the native Indians here or to a institution. Hmmm

I cooked a huge pot of spaghetti today and had the “doc’s “ over for dinner. Jerry Boggs is from Roseburg, Oregon and is a neurologist and Vinnie is from Williamsburg, VA and is an anesthesiologist. Both really nice guys and we enjoy them.

July 30, Wednesday
Today was absolutely gorgeous…sunny and warm. The locals are calling it “hot”; I however, beg to differ. Hot is anything over 100; not 75! What ever, I enjoyed it! I inventoried the trailer today and made lists of things to bring up next year if we come; plus I know what I have here.

The guys got home about 4:30 p.m. and they didn’t do to well. They said the ocean was rough and very choppy with waves of 8-10 feet and the fishing was rotten. They each got one halibut; which they had filleted on the boat and brought home for me to cut up into steaks and vacuum seal. So we each got about 25 pounds of halibut…not a very good catch, but halibut is halibut. I figured these cost us each about $45 a pound!

July 31, Thursday
Dan, Rod and Ken left camp early this morning to head home. I am at my favorite spot here, the Laundromat doing my last wash. I will be packing today and getting ready to leave camp tomorrow morning. We will go into Anchorage to visit with my brother tomorrow and Saturday until we leave late Saturday night. We are both missing our dogs and cats so we are anxious to get home and get back to a somewhat normal routine.
Today is another pretty day. The camp is emptying out quickly and probably more will leave after this weekend. The newspaper said that the sockeye fishing is closed as of tomorrow. The run was too small. Of course this happened last year and after a few days a huge run came through and the fishing was opened up to a limit of six a day. Won’t matter for us this year, we will be gone and we have plenty of fish.


I was tagged by The Pink Crazy Woman for this. I’ve not answered one of these for awhile, so here it goes.

1. What is your occupation right now? RETIRED...I don't have time to work!

2. What color are your socks right now?Socks? For once I am not wearing socks...so I would say very white feet!


3. What are you listening to right now? Washers and Dryers...I am at the laundromat.

4. What was the last thing that you ate? Coffee?


5. Can you drive a stick shift? No Way

6. Last person you spoke to on the phone? Hmmm--guess it was Ardis, yesterday.

7. Do you like the person who sent this to you? I have to, she's my kid!


8. How old are you today? 60.777777

9. What is your favorite sport to watch? Football, followed closely by golf.

10. What is your favorite drink? Water or a Manhattan


11. Favourite food? Hmmm --- Cheeseburger!

12. What is the last movie you watched? Bucket List, which was very good and I have now made my own "Bucket List."

13. Favourite day of the year? Any day is doesn't rain or snow.

14. How do you vent anger? Out the trap!


15. What was your favourite toy as a child? Uh...that was so long ago....I guess it was my bridal doll.


16. What is your favourite season? Summer in Washington and all the other season's in Arizona.


17. Cherries or Blueberries? Blueberries! Cherries please.

18. Do you want your friends to add this meme to their blogs? Yes!

19. Who is the most likely to respond? Uh...good question.


20. Who is least likely to respond? See above


21. Living arrangements? Where? Here in Alaska a 33 foot Terry Camp Trailer that is getting way too small right now. In Odessa a 3 bedroom manufactured home. In Arizona see previous. In between...a 35 foot 5th wheel...any more questions?

22. When was the last time you cried? A couple days ago.


23. What is on the floor of your closet? Shoes. Lots and lots of shoes.


24. Who is the friend you have had the longest relationship with that you are sending this to? Peggy....we were high school friends...


25. What did you do last night? Cooked, and visited with Bruce, Dan, Rod, Al and Ken. And swatted at mosquitos


26. What inspires you? Good question! DON'T KNOW RIGHT NOW.

27. What are you most afraid of? Right Now? Bears...there are way too many around here.


28. Plain, cheese or spicy hamburgers? Pass the Cheese please. Though it depends on where I’m getting said burger.


29. Favourite dog breed? Well, I couldn't answer this any other way but STANDARD POODLES...namely Beau and Schuster


30. Favourite day of the week? Any day...I am retired.

31. How many states have you lived in? Oh boy....Oregon, California, Colorado, (and Jennifer you forgot Colorado in your reply) Texas, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Dakota, Montana, Washington, Alaska, Arizona.

31. Biggest Life lesson? Listen to my intuition. Going against my gut feeling has always led to the wrong decisions for me.

No comments:

Followers