Tuesday, July 22, 2008

How Many Ways can I say BRRRRR

July 22, 2008
Sterling, AK

Okay.....it's officially COLD! We thought it was cold the other day when the thermometer registered a little over 40 degrees....however, this morning it was 38 degree's. IT IS JULY! Even the locals are hollering "NO FAIR!" And how many days or wet, rain, gray, cloudy can I take in July? Well, I am on 22 and counting. Oh, we did see the sun for a minute the other day and this morning when I got up there was something bright in the sky, but it didn't last long! One of the locals said there have been only 4 days of weather over 70 this year. That is just wrong!

Here is a copy of my daily log...you can tell how I feel!

Jul 17 Thursday
Rain, rain, rain! Rain and more rain. That is all we have had today. We dropped Randy off at the airport and we took off back to the river. Al drove the rental car and I drove Bruce’s motorhome. I really enjoy driving that motorhome. Wish we would buy one and trade off the trailer. On the way down I saw a brown bear and then a moose with her calf. It rained all the way down and traffic was terrible. The red salmon have started to run and everyone wants to come down and fish. 68000 went through the counter yesterday!
We have had to run the heater in the trailer tonight. It was 40 degree’s…yes, 40! I have had to check the calendar to make sure it really is July! It is so damn cold and I am so cold I am miserable. I am questioning our reasoning for being here.



Jul 18 Fri
I did my favorite thing today—laundry. I enjoy visiting with the lady who runs the Laundromat. After that I picked up our mail and when I left the post office I saw a moose and 2 calves walking along the highway. The calves were twins and they are still all fuzzy since it is so cold around here and they haven’t “slicked out” yet!
It is raining again today…no surprise there! And it is cold. Only 52 for a high today. Haven’t seen the sun in 3 days…no, that’s not true, last night we saw the sun for about a minute. I want to go home.
Fish are running strong. Doc Jerry and Vinnie are here and have caught their share of fish for the day. So we have some Salmon in the freezer.
Jul 19
I spent part of the day processing fish. Al and I got a system going; I cut the fillets into serving sizes; wash them; then he helps me by pulling out the plastic wrap in freezing size, I put the fish on it and wrap; then I vacuum seal it. DONE. Right now we have 80 pieces of fish in the freezer. Not 80 fish or 80 lbs, but 80 pieces. I will feel comfortable when we have another 80 in the freezer! Then we will have plenty for all.
The day gave us a mixed bag of weather. We actually saw the sun twice today! And it was warm; well, warm is relative for here…it was all the way up to 64 today. WHEEE!
Jul 20 Sunday
Again, a mixed bag of weather. However, we did see the sun for over an hour today…I think that is a record for this summer. I am really tired of this weather,..I want to go home!

July 21, 2008 Monday
We went in to Soldotna today to do some supply shopping. As I write this it is raining and gray; no sun at all today. I don’t think I want to do this next year….I need my sun. Besides, I miss my kitties and puppies.
As I was going back into town later today to get propane I saw a huge moose along side our road. Of course I couldn’t get to my camera! He was standing in the rain looking very regal…as if to say “don’t bother me”.
It was so cold this morning I went back to bed and crawled in my sleeping bag to get warm. Billie you would have never survived this summer up here.

Back to today, July 22
We shipped 115 pounds of salmon today! Some went to Tucson, some to Seattle and some to Odessa. Fish are still running strong, so hope to have more to take home with us when we leave in 10 days.

Okay, I am done whining for the day....more later.

No comments:

Followers