Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Katakolon, Athens

Nov. 14....aboard the Star Princess

Okay, so I didn't blog last night. Way too tired! Actually I am way to tired tonight as well, however, if I don't get it done tonight I am likely to forget what we have done and where we have been....so here goes!

Yesterday was Katakolon, Greece. Not an island, but on the western side of Greece. Katakolon is a small fishing village of about 600 people...until tourist/cruise season when it blooms to over 10,000 a day! We actually didn't stay in Katakolon, we took the tour bus up to Olympia...the beginning of the Olympic games way back when. We toured the museum there, seeing some statues that were from 439 BC....yup...you read that right. All of us were having a hard time wrapping our brains around how old these were. I sure wish I could attach pictures so you could see what I am talking about. We spent a couple of hours in the museum and of course in the little town of Olympia (i.e., spend money here please.) Last August this was another place that was victim to a horrible wild fire, and it burned within feet of the museum. So sad to see. We didn't go to the actual archaeological site of the first Olympics, that was another tour.

Al didn't go with us yesterday. He was still very swollen and retaining a lot of fluid yet. He has to see the doctor every 8 hours to get an extra dose of lasix. And yesterday she put him in compression hose as well. You should have seen me trying to get those on him! ARG

Nov 14...Athens
Up early to take the tour of Athens, Acropolis, Plaka (old town) and Cape Sounion (Poseidon's temple). I sure wish I had paid more attention in my Greek Mythology class years ago!

We started at Cape Sounion. We were here 20 years ago and the weather was horrible...windy, cold, rain threatening, lightning, thunder, etc. It was almost as if Poseidon was telling us to get off his land. Well, today was no different! Same weather! But I love Cape Sounion. It is so fascinating to me to hear all of the myths and history of the area. This temple was built in 5th century B.C. (yup, you read that correct!) We stayed in the area for about an hour and just as we got back on the bus, the rain started! WHEW!

As we drove back into Athens, it was raining all the way. As we pulled up to the Acropolis, the rain stopped. We are so lucky! The Acropolis is up about 100 steps....all marble and all as slick as they could be from the rain! Wheeeeeeeeee! The Acropolis dominates the Athenian area. Up to the Parthenon, the Erectheloion, and the porch of the Caryatids we went. Taking lots of pictures. We also saw the Agora, where it is said that the Aposle Paul preached. I won't bore you with the rest of the history of the area.... you should have been paying attention in Greek History as well! :-) We spent well over an hour in the Acropolis; then it was down those 100 steps to a wonderful lunch of what else, but Greek food. YUM!

From there we were led down a very narrow road (and steps) to the Plaka, or the old town. There we were on our own for some retail therapy. And Therapy I did. I found another Greek Vase to match the two I have at home (that is if the cat's haven't knocked them off) and a couple of books on the area. Then we hit the big time! WE FOUND STARBUCKS! YEAH! Jack, Suzi and I sat and had a Starbucks coffee. I love the European coffee, but I was really craving a Starbucks. From there it was back on the bus for a short tour of Athens, and then back to the ship. Needless to say, we are all tired and will probably be very sore tomorrow from all the walking and stair climbing....well, I will probably be sore, Jack and Suzi may not be.

Al is still ship bound. The doctor gave him another massive dose of furosemide yesterday and I think he is doing much better today, however, he still can't walk very far. Tomorrow is the island of Mykonos, which our tickets say "extensive walking" so he will not go tomorrow. After that I may put him in a wheel chair for the next tour in Ephesus. We will see.

Our weather held all day until we were getting back on the ship, when it started to get cold and windy again. We have really been lucky on the weather on this trip.

Of course the food is wonderful.....however, I don't see how we can gain any weight after all the walking we are doing! Just ask my legs, knees and back! Ouch!

So until next blog, tomorrow maybe, we are still the Wroamin' Wraspirs and Waddicks!

PS....I have to giggle when I do the spell check...it really doesn't like all of these Greek names...perhaps Jennifer was right when she said she felt like she had to say "Bless You" after all of the Greek names!

No comments:

Followers