Sunday, November 09, 2008

Getting Old

Tucson
I am learning to grow old. Well, maybe, but not gracefully. I noticed this morning my mother's hands at the end of my wrist...only they had my dad's fingers attached. WTH? How did this happen over night? I also looked in the mirror and saw my grandmother staring back at me! When did she invade my face? And my hair....my dad's fine hair (just lots of it) and my grandmother's hair color. WHAT HAPPENED??? I am turning into my ancestors! I realize the weight thing...it just happens to some of us who like to eat and don't like to excercise 12 hours a day. But how did I get my grandmothers shape? Why didn't I get my grandfathers (who was tall and skinny as I remember...however, he probably wasn't all that tall, it was just the angle that I was looking at him from!) And my memory....I can't seem to find it anymore when I need it. I say the data bank is getting full! I see more Spaid in me this year than last, and less Emery. However, the Emery surfaces every once in a while when I least expect it. You can draw your own conclusions to that one!

And wrinkles....oh my gosh! If I lost weight, I would be nothing but one big wrinkle! Laugh lines, okay, but laugh craters???? Crows feet, okay....but their whole body I don't need!!!! And what's with the chin hair? WHY??? I used to watch my mom "pluck" chin hair...now I am!

And the eye sight, or lack there of. Even glasses don't help at times...even bi-focals! I remember when my dad went to tri-focals and all the trouble he had...I know what is in store for me! And the teeth...I still have most of mine, but for how long??? I faithfully brush, floss, etc. and see my dentist on a regular schedule...but again, for how long?

The one thing I love about growing old is the memories I have. Those are precious to me. I just hope I don't start re-living them all of the time - I would like to make new ones as well.

But then, the alternative to growing old isn't favorable either...I would rather grow old than not. Think about it!

No comments:

Followers