Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Homer Alaska

Homer
We returned to the river from Anchorage on Tuesday of last week. I helped Bruce as much as I could with things that needed to be done in regards to Janice's death, then decided he probably needed some time alone to absorb all of it.

Son-in-law Dan and friend Tim got in from LA on Monday and were already fishing the river when we got back. They did pretty good, however, the fishing has really slowed down the last few days. Son Jerry got in last Friday and the fishing has been pretty slow since then. He has caught a few however.

I have packed all the items we are taking with us from our camp trailer at the river. We have sold it; and it is bitter sweet to say goodbye to it. We have really enjoyed in over the years, however, Al can't get down to the river to fish and I am tired of paying the lot lease on it and maintenance. We sold it to a good friend of Bruce's so we will still have the option to visit it if we desire to next year.

Right now I am sitting in Homer Alaska looking out at Kachemak Bay and the mountains and glaciers beyond it. The bay is as calm as I have ever seen it...usually the wind is blowing hard. It is very cloudy and rainy today, however, when we got here yesterday it was sunny and beautiful, albeit, windy and cold. We drove around and did some site seeing yesterday afternoon. Jerry is with us and we found a great place up on the hills overlooking town for some picture taking opportunities. I am also watching a pair of bald eagles circle right now...too beautiful for words. I kept trying to get a picture of them, but all I got was a blur. Al and Jerry are out on a halibut fishing charter as I write this. I usually go along, but decided to save my back this year. This is the first time I have had a day to myself in a long time and I plan on doing some laundry first; then hit the local quilt shop and bum around Homer until the boys get back late this afternoon.

Wosnesenski Glacier as seen from Homer

Homer and the Spit

I am still at the motel we stayed at last night and I am going to take a long, HOT, shower before I check out. I may try and drain all the hot water from their tanks....if you have ever had to shower in an RV you know what I mean. When you take as shower in an RV you have to get wet, turn the water off, lather up, turn water on and rinse quickly before you run out of hot water. At least its been that way in any RV we have ever been in. Needless to say, a long, hot shower is very appealing to me right now. It has been so darn cold up here that I need something to warm these old bones up.

One thing I mentioned to AL yesterday and he agreed, we haven't seen a cat since we have been up here. NOT ONE! I am really having cat withdrawals. Plus, I miss our kitties and puppies. And I am sure that Jennifer who has the dogs and Denise who has the cats are ready for us to come claim the spoiled brats.

We will go back to Anchorage tomorrow evening. Jerry leaves on Thursday afternoon. We will leave for our cruise out of Seward on Friday, so Bruce will take us to Seward on Friday to catch the ship. Friends Jack and Suzi Waddick will be cruising with us again....I don't think we could take a cruise without them...they are too fun to have around.

So until next time, hope this finds everyone living their life to the fullest...life is to short to do otherwise.

No comments:

Followers