Friday, July 10, 2009

Saying Goodbye to my Brother

Anchorage

Today was the memorial/graveside service for my older brother, Dick, who died last January. It was a full on military service...I made it through it, but it wasn't easy. It was hard to say goodbye, however, I know he is resting in peace. About 40 people attended the service at Ft. Richardson. I was impressed by the respect we got by everyone, while in the procession from the gate to the national cemetary, led by the military police, the on coming traffic would pull over and stop out of respect for the deceased. I haven't seen that in a long time.


All of my siblings are here. The older two, Jean and Bob and wife Mary, arrived on Monday and we have had a great time catching up with each others lives and all of our kids. Then yesterday baby sib, Johnny, arrived and the real fun began. He has a great personality and is so funny...we have been laughing ever since he arrived.

Niece Janice, Nephew Bruce, Brother Bob and wife Mary, Sister Jean, my, Brother John and Al at graveside, Ft. Richardson.

On Wednesday, we headed to Whittier Alaska for the day. Al and I haven't been there, and Bob, Mary and Jean hadn't either. We had to drive through the longest tunnel in North America (2.6 miles) to get there. Until 2000 you had to take the train to Whittier, or load your car on the train. They have actually built the road on the train track. It is a single lane tunnel, one way at a time, and on a schedule. Whittier is a nice, little town, on Prince William Sound, lots of boats in the marina.

Whittier

Tunnel Entrance/Exit

After returning to Anchorage, we had dinner at one of the many good restaurants, Henry's Alaskan Restaurant.

We have spent a lot of time visiting, just enjoying each other. Tomorrow we all will go to the river. Johnny will be leaving on Sunday; Jean, Bob and Mary leave on the 15th. We will stay at the river until the end of the month.

Rest in peace, my dear brother. I miss you.

1 comment:

Jenn from WA said...

I would have passed Janice and Johnny on the street and probably wouldn't have recognized them. Especially Janice...

Followers