Saturday, July 04, 2009

MOOOOSSSE!

Anchorage, AK

HAPPY 4th OF JULY! Remember the reason for the holiday!

Greetings from the land of the midnight sun. And yes, it is still light out at midnight. Matter of fact, I haven't seen darkness yet. And last night I couldn't sleep (stupid cough) and was up most of the night and it was still light out.

We are staying at my nephew's house until the 11th when we will go to the river. Bruce has a very quaint, cute little house on the south end of Anchorage. I just love his house. Very rustic; he has lived here for 20 years and very much a bachelor place. It will be interesting when the rest of the sibs get here as this is a very small place. We have secured the downstairs bedroom as ours. Two of the other sibs and sib in law will stay in the motorhome; baby sib will sleep up stairs in the house. Very cozy. I don't think we have all been this close, ever!

We arrived on Thursday; layed low most of the day. Yesterday I did some grocery shopping and stocked up on mosquito spray. Thursday night a mosquito slept with us (we are used to cats sleeping with us and occasionally a dog, but NOT a mosquito) and the little devil must be very full as I have several bites. GRRRR As one friend put it he must be fat enough to put on the barby!!!

Bruce went down to the river last night after dinner for the weekend. Janice (niece) came over for dinner last night and we bbq'd some chicken...yum.

Today we have layed pretty low...I could get used to this. I fixed breakfast for us of Spam and eggs (quit gagging) and it was very tasty. Then after a while we decided to go out for a drive and some lunch. We were driving down a very busy, main road here in Anchorage when I noticed something to my right....a MOOSE! He was a young bull; and very calmly stepped out into traffic, bringing all traffic to a screeching halt as he meandered across the street. And me with out my camera and my phone buried in my purse! Damn! But that may mean it will be a good moose spotting season for me...as long as they don't chase me!

The cottonwood trees are shedding like crazy and I am -- achoo, achoo---reacting to them. It looks like it is snowing at times.....NOT! The weather is absolutely wonderful, in the high 60's, low 70's. A great summer so far. This time last year we had had nothing but rain.

We found Kincaid Park today as well....a very nice, large park in the middle of Anchorage. We drove around it...lots of people out. At one of the small lakes in the park a lady had 2 dogs, one being a white Schuster!!! However, this dog was a Beau in the respect that all he wanted to do was chase the ball. I MISS MY OODLES OF POODLES and my KITTIES!

Tonight we are going to meet my niece for dinner and then come home and do what we have been doing best for the last few days...relax. Fireworks here won't start until midnight or later, so we will just pretend we saw them....with our eyes closed.

Hope everyone is having a great 4th of July!

No comments:

Followers