Saturday, January 19, 2008

Let's put a dog in office



I just recieved this--I don't know who wrote it but I sure agree with it. Beau or Schuster would be great canidates!





Now that the 2008 election campaign has officially begun, I'd like to publicly endorse the one candidate I believe has the character to be president: my dog.
My dog has never told a lie. When he gets into the trash can, he meets me at the front door with such a guilty expression that I half expect to discover he has eaten the neighbors. He follows me into the kitchen with his head down, blinking and wincing when I see the mess.
"Did you do this?" I demand. Yes, his expression replies. I did it. I am a bad, bad dog. And that's it; he doesn't try to spin the story (some studies suggest coffee grounds are actually good for the carpet!) or dull the impact (mistakes were made) or shift the blame (I have asked for the cat's resignation).
He faces me in humble misery: The trash can was just too tempting. He made an error in judgment. Isn't this what we want from our leaders, the ability to admit they made an error without piling on a lot of excuses?
And if protecting the citizens of this country from enemies is the No. 1 job of the president, then I can promise you my dog will faithfully execute the task, so long as the enemies are squirrels.
In fact, I can personally attest that in fulfillment of his duties, my dog is more than willing to knock over lamps and grandmothers and will plunge headlong through a closed screen door, so eager is he to protect us from all squirrels foreign and domestic. He'll also sit at the foot of the tree and bark for, oh, seven hours, if you let him. Honestly, can you see Hillary Clinton doing any of this?
Diplomacy is crucial in this dangerous world of ours, and my dog can make friends with anyone. A man could walk into my house carrying a saber and my dog would try to leap up and lick his face. If the intruder got down on his hands and knees to steal my stereo, my dog would joyously embrace him and simulate making love to him. You think when foreign leaders arrive at Camp David that Rudy Giuliani is going to be as friendly?
My dog does not waver from his positions, which are usually on the floor, begging or taking a nap. In fact, he can go all day without changing his position, to the point that I sometimes go over to see if he's still breathing. He does not waffle on the issues, he eats the waffle, often right out of the trash can. (Yes, I am a bad, bad dog.)
So consistent and reliable is he that even after more than 1,000 nights of being told he cannot sleep on the bed with me, he still cautiously puts a paw on the mattress and starts to slide up onto the blankets when I lie down, thinking that maybe this time things will be different. I believe such consistency is a real plus in a world leader.
And don't we want the president of the United States to be optimistic? No matter how great things are, my dog always assumes that if we go someplace else, they'll be even better. You think John McCain ever says, "Yes, I want to go for a car ride! I do! Yes! I do! I do! Yes! Yes! Yes!"?
With so many things going on in the world today, it is easy for a world leader to lose focus.
I defy any of the presidential candidates to pay attention to a given situation the way my dog can concentrate on me eating dinner.
With an unblinking, almost scary stare, he'll watch every forkful of food making the trip to my mouth, ready to lunge at the slightest hint that I might be dropping something edible on the floor. In the past, we've had presidents who have seemed to be, well, a little distracted. I promise you, make a dog biscuit part of the equation and my canine will pay attention until the end of time.
So this election, let's put a dog into office.
It wouldn't be the first time.
BEAU FOR PRESIDENT!

SCHUSTER FOR VICE PRESIDENT!

No comments:

Followers