Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Rehab it is

Tucson

Sunday, Mar 15
We are making progress today as Al got moved to a rehab facility. For those not familiar with TUcson, the hospital he was in was about 20+ miles from the house one way and usually in heavy traffic. It took at least 40 minutes usually to get there. We were fortunate enough to get him moved to the Oro Valley Rehab, which is in the Oro Valley Hospital that is 6 miles from home. He was very confused today after the move and disoriented. AND VERY TIRED.

Monday, Mar 16
RIc and Janet visited Al this morning and he was a bit better, but still didn't know where he was. His physical and occupational therapy started today with an evaluation of where he is now and where he has to be before they will release him.

Talked with the Endocrinologist tonight and they have had to change the antibiotic that AL was on as his kidneys were not handling the meds well. Al only has at best, a 50% kidney function, so the last thing we want is something that will reduce that. Al will have to be on an antibiotic for the rest of his life. This is due to the surgery of the knee. Optimal surgery would have been to do a total knee replacement, however, the docs didn't feel Al was healthy enough for a total knee replacement, thus the surgery that was done. Good news is he survived the surgery, bad news is the life long antibiotic usage, which in turn can cause other problems.

Tuesday, Mar 17 HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S Day
We visited Al early this morning and then we went to Gary and Jeannettes for an early lunch. Ric and Janet left for home around 1:00 p.m. today. After I dropped them off at the airport I came home with all good intentions of starting to clean house, however, I made the mistake of sitting down for a moment and woke up 2 hours later!!!! Guess my body is telling me something!!!

I visited Al this afternoon/evening and he was having a very bad day. The antibiotic med change wasn't agreeing with him and has to be given every 4 hours, so he didn't get much sleep. Plus, the therapist are starting to make him walk a bit further and get up and sit in a chair, walk to the bathroom, etc. He was tired and very cranky this evening. I didn't stay too long as he kept falling asleep. Poor guy has really had a rough time of it. I came home and had a major melt down.

Wed. Mar 18
Thanks to the dogs, I was up at 6:00 a.m. They had to go outside, and then there must have been a huge pack of coyotes right below us because the dogs would bark at them then the coyotes would howl. I gave up trying to go back to sleep.

I went to have lunch at the rehab center today with Al. He seemed very alert and aware of what was going on. That was good to see. But after lunch, he fell asleep and I let him sleep until they came to get him for physical therapy.


I returned to rehab around 5:00 this evening and visited while he had his dinner -- the food is very good as a rule at this hospital, but tonight sure didn't measure up. Dried out chicken breast, squash, and soup. UGH! He didn't eat much and I don't blame him. I did smuggle in a tomato for him and he ate that. Then it was time for his every four hours dose of antibiotics which is given through his PICC line. Oh Joy!


I finally left around 7:00; got home at 7:15 and he called me at 7:20 and asked why I hadn't been in to see him. :-( That caused BIG TEARS. Poor guy....he also is fighting Sundowners. It just doesn't seem fair...along with dementia and alhzeimers, why does he have to have Sundowners? I had a mini melt down tonight. Didn't know I could cry so much in such a short time frame. Should be out of tears by now.


On a brighter and prouder note, our granddaughter, Lori, was inducted into the National Honor Society tonight in Oregon City, OR. WE ARE SO PROUD OF HER! She is so smart and has so much going for her, and she is so focused on what she wants and has a plan of how to achieve it. She is 15, going on 30 sometimes!!!


As for life around here....RIC, come get your $%^& bird! He/she is driving me nuts. At all the doors "whimpering"! Ric has this ability to call birds...mimic their sounds. A few years ago he called a road runner in. Well, he did again this year and now this bird won't leave me alone! The road runner is my favorite bird, they make me laugh; however, this one is being plain ole annoying. She wants her new friend, Ric!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, it could have been worse....I could have called in the javelina....plus, they make you laugh.......remember, that's my job!!

Followers