Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Small steps lead to bigger ones

Tucson
AL is doing much better...walking more and doing more things for himself. He can get into and out of a chair; to the bathroom and back; into and out of bed...all by himself. I know, that sounds like such "normal" things for you and I, however, he hadn't been able to do these things on his own until this week. He is using his walker much better now as well. He is still very tired and the doc's attribute that to the infection, however, his white blood cell counts are at NORMAL (Ric, you can call Aunt Joyce now) and his blood sugar is 130, BP is 145/68, so things are progressing well. He is still just wanting to stay in bed most of the time, but between the Physical and Occupational Therapist, Jude and myself pestering him to get up, he is up more and more. The "team" meets tomorrow for evaluations and the general consensus today was that he will be released to come home on Saturday, Mar 28. He will have home health care and home therapist for a few weeks, but I will be the primary care giver. Nothing new about that!

I have been busy cleaning out pantries, freezers, closets, dressers, etc. Trying to shovel out some of the excess we seem to have accumulated! Claudia and Larry brought down a load of boxes from Odessa; mostly clothes. There were 20 boxes and I have 21 boxes ready for the Boy Scouts to pick up! Needless to say, I am on a mission to get things cleaned out before Al gets home. He likes to "hang on to things", "just in case" he needs them some day. Well, I am getting rid of it all. He will probably never miss 99.9% of this stuff. I know I won't! Still have the master bedroom closet to get through before he comes home. I just got rid of most of his neck ties ... he has been retired 14 years, time to get rid of those! And I got rid of a lot of my shoes, (I know...shocking)...and a lot other stuff. If I haven't used it, worn it in the last 2 years it is GONE! Ruthless, I tell you.

We are going to have to have this house painted on the outside, so I have been interviewing painters! It's gonna' be costly! One guy was so high I laughed at him. I really don't think he wanted the job. An other guy said he could do it, but not until June. So guess not everyone is looking for work! I am waiting for bids from two others now. Should have started this process a long time ago, but really didn't want to think about it.

Other than that, I spend my days going up to rehab for lunch, coming home and working, and then back to rehab for dinner. It wears me out to sit up there with nothing to do, and sometimes Al sleeps so I leave and come back later. OH, and Freddy the Roadrunner is still here, being a pest at times, at other times he just sits and looks around. I call him our "watch bird". The weather had been wonderful, it has cooled down a little from last week, however the forecast has it going back to the mid 80's by the weekend. Fine with me.

So, until next time.....take care.

No comments:

Followers