Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Odessa...finally!

Odessa

We arrived here about 5:00 p.m. on Monday. Didn't take long to get the trailer set up and the truck unhooked. We had a light dinner and both of us crashed!! Here is the travel log from Sunday and Monday.

BAKER CITY, OR
June 7, 2009
We arrived here last evening around 5:00 p.m.. after getting a late start out of Twin Falls. We just took our time yesterday morning and made a stop at Walmart for some supplies; so we didn’t leave Twin Falls until noon…our time. When we arrived here it was cold, cloudy and threatening rain. After getting set up I took the dogs for their exercise….ball! We were in a nice, grassy area and I looked up to see about 15 cows watching us over the fence! Schuster, of course, had to go investigate what these things that is bigger than he is.

Remember when you were a kid and you always had to visit every bathroom along the way just because? Well, I think Al has this going on with hospitals!!!!

About 9:00 p.m. Al started experiencing cramps..in his legs, hands, arms and abdomen. I gave him an extra potassium pill like the doctor had instructed me to do, hoping the cramps would go away. All they did was get worse, so at 10:30 p.m. I was out unhooking the trailer from the truck (never had to do this in the dark!!) and off we went to the local hospital Emergency Room. Al was really in severe pain by this time. Fortunately for us, the Hospital isn’t far away and we were the only ones in the ER!!! Imagine that! The nurses got him stabilized and finally around midnight the doctor comes wandering in and orders some blood tests. I am suspecting that he is low in potassium and I told the doc that, but what do I know??? Doc thinks he is low on magnesium, and wants to give him a dose to see if that will help. I asked about quinine tablets, which I was told, they can’t get as the pharmacy is closed. HUH? After the blood test results come back, yup, I was right…he is low on potassium. They give him another potassium pill and send us home (2:30 a.m.) Al is feeling somewhat better by now and by 4:00 a.m. the cramps have pretty much gone away. I will give him an extra potassium pill this morning to boost his potassium level; doc’s instructions. We finally got to sleep around 4:30 a.m. … yawn!
We are only 252 miles from Odessa, so I think we will try and make that today. At least if we have another medical emergency I will know where to go and what to do!!!!
More later…………….

Monday, June 8
Odessa
We arrived here at 5:00 p.m. The trip today was pretty uneventful, with the exception of that damn hill coming into Pendleton! 6 miles of a 6% grade…and for some reason, I always worry about that hill the entire trip and I finally relax when we are at the bottom safely. However, this trip we had worse hills and grades, but since I didn’t know about them in advance, I didn’t have to worry about them!!!!!
We found a good little restaurant in Pendleton….Roosters. Their specialty is the Chicken Noodle soup, and not being a big fan of chicken noodle soup (okay, so my mom fed me way to much of it when I was sick as a child…so I associate it with being sick)…however, this soup was outstanding. We even bought a half gallon of it and we had it for dinner tonight! Homemade noodles….it was yummy.

We are parked at the little RV park next to the golf course. We were set up and ready to relax in less than 45 minutes. However, I am still fighting with the %^&* satellite dish, so no TV tonight. Besides I am too tired to fight it tonight. Todd came over as soon as we arrived and helped me move a picnic table over to our site, then he brought over Al’s big recliner that is built up high so Al can get out of it easily and we switched chairs. Vicky and the kids came over as well. Those 2 kids are absolutely darling .. Alyssia is 6 and Austin is 4. Alyssia is so pretty and Austin is all boy!!! Cute, cute cute. Austin said to me tonight "I am living in your house!" I said, "You are?" He said "Yup, and I am staying there!!" So there!
So we are set up and will stay here for two weeks. Since Todd and Vicky are renting our house here and have moved our stuff into a storage space, I will have my work cut out for me in the next two weeks sorting through stuff and getting rid of it. Not a job I look forward to, but one that needs to be done.

Tuesday
I rested most of the day. Had a few errands to run in town, which took me twice as long as everyone stopped to say hello!!! Had lunch at the cafe and ran into a few people there, then at the Quilt Shop with Ardis a few more people came in. You know how it is in a small town! However, it kinda' felt good!

Jerry came over for dinner tonight and we figured out logistics for this weekend. Melanie and family are coming over and Cammie and boyfriend are coming from Moses Lake to help. I took a look at the storage trailer where 99% of our stuff is and decided I was not going to tackle that and let the kids help when they get here. I think Salvation Army or the Sr. Center will be very happy with me when I am done!!!

Had a nice rain this evening, didn't last too long tho. I still haven't gotten the satellite working and after a long conversation with Directv today I don't think I will try and set it up until we come back in August. We can always run over to Todds; Mandi's or Buds to watch tv. Matter of fact, Mandi will be gone for a week next week...hmmmm.

So for now, we are settled and happy to be so.

No comments:

Followers