Monday, September 24, 2007

Birds of a Feather and other nonsense

Tucson

I must be in a "bird" stage of life these past few days. It all started with a pink flamingo.

Jennifer asked me to make a pink flamingo costume for her for halloween. Now, I have to tell you it has been at least 30 years since I have made any halloween costumes! So when I was in Seattle Jennifer and I visited the local "Joann Fabrics" store and purchased this #$%^&*# material and pink boa's to make said costume. I thought to myself...this will be a piece of cake! HA! Little did I know! The pattern is very simple...two seams! However, the material has a texture to it and when I cut out the pattern the material shed like a dog in 100 degree heat! I had pink threads EVERYWHERE...it looked like a flamingo had commited suicide in the bedroom!!! So, I hauled out '"jaws" my vacuum and vacuumed...I thought I had it all, but we are still seeing escapee's from the material all over! Then I head to the sewing machine....I have to tell you this material is slicker than snot! Two seams took forever to sew together...I finally had to put a death grip on the material! AND, I might add, it is still shedding! Jaws and I have become great friends in the last two days. Then come the feather boa's. ACHOO! ACHOO! I finally got the boa's cut (Achoo) and pinned to the collar and bottom of said costume (by this time I was questioning my sanity!) Tried to machine sew the boa's on...nope...so I had to hand sew them on. All persons, animals and dust mites in this house were sneezing at the end of it! And pink feathers everywhere! Jaws and I went to work again. Just when I think I have the house de-flamingoed, I find a thread or errant feather! And I might add I am just about blind...

And in the middle of the flamingo fiasco, I had to run to get thread. As I am driving down the road a pink flamingo crosses the street! WTH? I do a couple of rapid eye blinks, shake my head and yes it is still there! Some wise guy was advertising for a new business and used a person in a pink flamingo costume to do it! I had a thought about stopping the car, getting out and stealing the costume! Costume is finally done, packed and ready to go! WHEW! And I am still seeing pink!

As I sat outside with my coffee this morning I realized how peaceful it is here (If you ignore the noise of the cars on Lago del Oro). The weather is starting to really get nice...mid 60's this morning, nice breeze and all the wild life around. I was listening to the birds this morning and the different sounds they make. There is the Cactus Wren, which makes a barking sound at times; another bird (not sure what it was) made a "mew" sound (and no, the cats weren't out side); the Thrust with it's whistle (same one Al uses to call the dogs...confuses them when the bird makes the call!); the quail and woodpecker making what ever their sound is; and "Fast Freddy" our resident road runner, which doesn't make a "beep-beep" sound but more like a pathetic hum. The cactus wrens were scolding me for sitting on my deck in "their" territory. The gold finches are back at the feeder and they are so fun to watch. All this from a person who really didn't like birds for years! Of course, we also have the coyotes to contend with and the Javalina's and every once in a while a bob cat (which had babies in our culvert) is spotted. The evenings are nice as well, sitting on the deck watching the sunset and then the stars appear. Yes, it is really nice this time of year!

We are flying to St. Louis tomorrow. Al will spend 10 days there with his son Mike, while daughter-in-law, Bev and I head to Washington, DC to meet up with Jennifer for a week of "vacation". Jennifer's 20th high school reunion is being held in DC. She attended The American School in Switzerland (TASIS) her junior and senior year in high school as we were in Saudi and there were no school for girls there. Al is doing much better, doesn't seem to be retaining as much fluid and he says he feels really good. He is looking forward to the time spend with Mike as well.

Until next post probably from WDC, hope everyone is happy and healthy.

The Wroamin' Wraspirs...only Al and Jo this time. All animals stay home!

No comments:

Followers