Sunday, September 30, 2007

Washington DC



Greetings from Washington, DC


Last Thursday daughter-in-law Bev and I left St. Louis around noon (we got upgraded to first class) and arrived in Washington, DC around 1:30 p.m. It was very hot and humid, but sunny. Our hotel is very, very nice, (Thanks Mike) and close to Reagan International. After getting settled in our room we decided to find the Metro (subway) and headed to Pentagon City Mall, where I watched Bev shop. We got back to the hotel and had dinner at Legal Seafood, which is just across the street…Of course I wanted Lobster Bisque (I had it in Boston at Legal Seafood and it was the best ever!) -- they have taken it off the menu…I pouted, then had lobster…yum! Jennifer arrived later that evening, after being delayed in Denver for a hour or so.

Friday
Up not so early and breakfast at the hotel which was very expensive -- we will have to find somewhere else tomorrow! Then we were off to the Metro and Union Station…we are getting pretty good on Metro -- very easy to use once you figure out which direction you want to go!




Metro Tunnel











After arriving at Union Station and we had to make a Starbucks stop first. Then we took the Hop on—Hop Off double decker bus tour. What fun...it takes in all of DC, plus Georgetown and Arlington Cemetary. We sat on the top of bus where you are 14 ft up…watch out for low hanging branches!!! We also heard a gazillion times to "please keep all body parts inside the bus" We did the tour through DC…only one stop in Georgetown where I HAD to stop and potty…and we ate lunch, which turned out to be a great lunch at the Daily Grill. And I finally got my Lobster Bisque, which was excellent.

Back on the bus to finish our tour to Union station. After wandering around for a while (and stopping at Starbucks again) we decided to walk to the Capitol. Lots of security around! We wound up at the back of the capital, where there is some construction going on. HMMMM...it will be the new visitors center! Did I mention the beautiful weather we are having???


These girls are trying to walk my legs off! Whew...I am tired! Oh, and few of the Bev-”isms” from today that we laughed at!!

1. Where is the Senate Building? UH, you are standing right next to it!
2. Pontiac River instead of Potomac!
3. What is that building? Oh’, it’s something!


After that we went back to Hotel for a rest, then to he hotel bar for beer. We decided to go to dinner at Mackey’s Pub, which is across the street as well…it was an Irish Pub and very good. There are so many good restaurants right around our hotel that it makes it nice that we don't have to go out and search out a place to eat or take a cab or metro.

We crashed and burned early.

Sat.
Jenn was sick all night…Something she ate and we didn’t get much sleep (I haven't had a sick baby for a long, long, time!!)
We went to Pentagon city Mall for breakfast -- much cheaper! It is only one Metro stop away, so it is easy to get to. Then we were back on Metro to “THE Mall”. No, not a shopping Mall but the National MALL. There was a huge book fair being held there and I wanted to go through it, but I controlled myself and besides I didn't want to carry them.! Jenn heads off to meet high school buddy Mike and his wife Kate. Bev and I went to National Gallery of art…west and east bldg….all day! What a great place. I have been here before, but Bev hasn't. I still love to roam around it. They had the JW Turner Display and Edward Hopper display, which I liked Hopper much, better. Of course, I had to do my "Monet" thing!! I love Monet.


















We had lunch at the Garden café at the gallery and it was excellent. Of course, I ordered the Lobster Bisque...AND THEY WERE OUT! Darn!


We finally got back to the hotel…very tired and sore from all the walking! I am not used to this! BUT, we have mastered Metro--finally figured out which side of the track we should be on to go the direction we want to!
Jenn is off to her high school reunion so Bev & I had dinner at Ted’s Montana Restaurant…owned by Ted Turner. I ordered Prime Rib, and I GIVE UP...it wasn't very good. When will I ever get a good Prime Rib???? GRRR
We came back to the hotel and collapsed again! My legs and back are trying to tell me something!


Jenn's High School reunion was tonight. She had a blast! She wasn't really looking forward to going, but as usual, she had a good time.


Sunday

Up and out not very early. Today was Alexandria Old Town. We found a Starbucks close to the hotel (Why haven't we found this one before???)


Have I mentioned it is about 4 LONG blocks walk to the Metro....and we have discovered several different ways to get there!


Alexandria was beautiful as usual. I LOVE this town...I must have lived here in a previous life! I can find things here that I shouldn't know where they are! Scary.


We had lunch at the Chart House (one of my favorites) and then took a boat cruise on the Potomac up to Georgetown and back. What fun! Saw a lot of the monuments from a different view.


















We WALKED around Alexandria today...my feet, legs and back are starting to complain very loudly! OW, Ow, Ow! Then we walked all the way back up King St to the Metro -- 24 blocks, plus the long 4 blocks back to our hotel...I haven't walked this much...EVER!

Tonight we met my good friends Adel and Cathy Labib for dinner. Al and I met them in Saudi and we really count them as good friends. They are so nice; and refined; and well traveled; and nice; and super sincere, sweet people. There aren't enough adjectives to describe how wonderful these two are! We met at a Spanish Tapas Restaurant, which was excellent, however a bit noisy. I had a good visit with them, Bev and Jenn fell in love with them as well. Both girls commented on how wonderful these two are! I hated to say goodbye! There lived here for 18 years, now they are "nomads" as they put it. They are trying to move to Egypt, where Adel is from. However, they haven't been able to find an apartment in Cairo, so for the summer they decided to go to Paris for 3 months. Now they are back here taking care of some business, then they will once again go to Egypt and try to find somewhere to live. Hopefully they will make a trip to Tucson before they go; fall in love with our area and stay! HA!

Monday
Today was the Arlington Cemetery. After a quick breakfast, we are off on the Metro (Blue Line) to Arlington cemetery. I have been there before, but never got to see the changing of the guard or the Lee Mansion. We hopped on the tour bus (I refused to walk) and first stop was the Kennedy graves. These are very moving to me, I can remember exactly where I was when JFK and RFK were shot. Then to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. This I have never seen and we waited to see the changing of the Guard as well. VERY IMPRESSIVE! I don't know why I haven't seen this before!

After a very impressive visit we headed back to Pentagon City Mall for lunch at Johnny Rockets and then back to the hotel to REST!

We had dinner at Bepo's Restaurant...a great Italian place, again within walking distance to the hotel.

Have I mentioned the wonderful weather we are having? Perfect sunny days, not to hot, but warm enough. PERFECT!

Tomorrow is back to the Capitol and who knows where else as it is our last day here. More on that in the next blog.

No comments:

Followers